Meet Your Host, Alan Weiss
Alan Weiss is one of those rare people who can say he is a consultant, speaker, and author and mean it.
His consulting firm, Summit Consulting Group, Inc., has attracted clients such as Merck, Hewlett-Packard, GE, Mercedes-Benz, State Street Corporation, Times Mirror Group, The Federal Reserve, The New York Times Corporation, Toyota, and over 500 other leading organizations. He has served on several boards of directors in various capacities.
His prolific publishing includes over 500 articles and 60 books, including his best-seller, Million Dollar Consulting (from McGraw-Hill) now in its 30th year and sixth edition. His newest is Your Legacy is Now: Life is not about a search for meaning but the creation of meaning (Routledge, 2021). His books have been on the curricula at Villanova, Temple University, and the Wharton School of Business, and have been translated into 15 languages.Get to know Alan
Debt: We explore the need to help those who need help, as opposed to those who simply make irresponsible decisions.
- There is no such thing as “forgiving debt,” it is only moved from people who cannot, or choose not, to pay off an obligation to people who would prefer not to but are forced to fulfill that obligation through taxation.
- The loss of accountability associated with “forgiving” debt. The poor model it sets for one’s life and further expectations.
- Where the lines are drawn. Why not interest payments on mortgages, or car payments, or stock losses, or even gambling losses? And what time frames? Why now instead of two years ago or two years hence?
- Is forgiving debt simply an attempt to gain votes with an election on the horizon? The President’s approval rating went from the doldrums of the mid-30s to the mid-40s overnight after the announcement was made.
- Should people pursue careers at great expense when they know that the probable remuneration is insufficient to repay it without great hardship? Should an English major expect to be making $250,000 annually upon graduation?
Alan Weiss’s The Uncomfortable Truth® is a weekly broadcast from “The Rock Star of Consulting,” Alan Weiss, who holds forth with his best (and often most contrarian) ideas about society, culture, business, and personal growth. His 60+ books in 12 languages, and his travels to, and work in, 50 countries contribute to a fascinating and often belief-challenging 20 minutes that might just change your next 20 years.
Introduction to the show recorded by Connie Dieken