Here are some reflections on the horror show at the Capitol. I’m sure I’ll manage to tick off everyone by the time I’m done:
• This was not an insurrection, it was a rioting mob.
• This wouldn’t have happened without the encouragement and support of Donald Trump, who in my mind has committed a criminal and despicable act in so doing.
• The police were not sufficiently prepared and they should have been. Having said that, the decision to wait, let the energy subside, and then clear the place and pursue prosecutions later probably prevented more injuries and fatalities.
• The people running through the Capitol are supposedly in favor of “law and order.”
• I was proud of the Congress returning to complete their Constitutional duty.
• The claim that, if the people storming the Capitol were largely people of color there would have been a more violent police response, I believe is true.
• There needs to be a tighter control of white supremacy groups and movements.
• There needs to be a stronger police presence and action when protests turn into riots and stores are robbed, businesses ruined, and arson committed. Groups taking over swaths of downtown in cities like Portland without police ending it quickly is absurd.
• “Defund the police” is an empty slogan which trivializes the real intent to end police brutality and underestimates everyone’s need for uniform protection.
The gyroscope of democracy will right the ship. We’ll be stronger for this, and wiser. One hopes we’ll see the leadership that’s required in Washington and elsewhere to end demagoguery and foster a new compassionate and intelligent government.
I don’t know about you, but it’s Sunday morning and I’m headed to church, just to make sure I cover all the bases. Thanks for listening to my “sermon.”
What has violence ever accomplished? What has it ever created? No martyr’s cause has ever been stilled by an assassin’s bullet. No wrongs have ever been righted by riots and civil disorders. A sniper is only a coward, not a hero; and an uncontrolled or uncontrollable mob is only the voice of madness, not the voice of the people.—Robert F. Kennedy
In 1968, America was a wounded nation. The wounds were moral ones; the Vietnam War and three summers of inner-city riots had inflicted them on the national soul, challenging Americans’ belief that they were a uniquely noble and honorable people.—Thurston Clarke
The limitation of riots, moral questions aside, is that they cannot win and their participants know it. Hence, rioting is not revolutionary but reactionary because it invites defeat. It involves an emotional catharsis, but it must be followed by a sense of futility.—Martin Luther King, Jr.
Business Renaissance: THREE DAYS REMAIN TO REGISTER. I believe that the signs are very clear for an economic rebirth late first quarter or early second quarter. While many of us have learned to cope well with adversity, we need different techniques to exploit the opportunities that are arriving. I’m hosting a livestream event on January 15 at 9 am eastern (which will be recorded) to share with you my insights and specific tactics. I’ll be talking about how to leverage the inadequacies of past strategies, how to permanently engage in remote advisory work, how to acquire business without being present, and how to create new, innovative offerings at any time at all, among other approaches, and will take questions throughout. It’s only $100! I want everyone to be able to attend or hear the recording. Ten percent of the payments will go to a homeless shelter. And your ROI could be 1,000:1 early in the year. https://alanweiss.com/growth-experiences/business-renaissance/ Last four days to register!
2021 Book Sprint: Early February starts my sixth Book Sprint wherein participants create an entire, professional book proposal over 60 days for submission to agents and/or publishers. Our track record is about 80% for book contracts signed! Limited participation, I give you assignments weekly and we meet by Zoom weekly and share our work. Nothing else like this is offered anywhere. I can take six more people. Take assertive action to get that book (or next book) underway and in front of publishers.
MacKay CEO Forums: My long-time client and colleague, Nancy MacKay, is seeking additional chairs for her vast network which provides virtual meetings for business owners and executives. The chairs, while continuing to run their own businesses, also facilitate these meetings periodically, and gain exposure to potential clients by also addressing the groups and becoming known within the network. Here’s a video conversation with me and Nancy with more information: https://vimeo.com/451547172/b19e467e3e. You can reach Nancy for further discussions here: firstname.lastname@example.org. Just mention that I sent you to receive a quick response.
Million Dollar Consulting® College Goes Virtual: Join me for the second-ever virtual college over three mornings January 26-28, 2021 (afternoons in Europe). We’ll have group exercises, role plays, case studies, and great interaction. I hosted a dozen people from five countries in the October virtual College. Use this January opportunity to help launch you into the emerging economy with new energy and new techniques in 2021: https://alanweiss.com/growth-experiences/million-dollar-consulting-college-2021/
High Impact Writing: Whether an article or a book, an email or a blog post, write rapidly with maximum influence and effectiveness. Master power language, metaphors, examples, and colorful language. This is the second such offering. All this in one virtual session of three hours: https://alanweiss.com/growth-experiences/write-with-impact-speed-success/