Entering International Markets
Choose the course of least resistance:
- Domestic clients with overseas operations
- Foreign companies with domestic operations
- Current clients’ foreign customers and suppliers
- Use counsels’ offices and chambers of commerce, e.g., German counsel general in San Francisco
- Use associations: American manufacturers association of Tokyo
- Offer to speak at foreign association meetings remotely (cite your expertise, value to the audience, provide a demo video if possible)
- Visit somewhere you want to go and alert local trade associations, professional groups, chambers of commerce that you’ll be in town
Rules of thumb:
Offering to see someone within driving distance is unimpressive.
Offering to see someone a plane ride away gets you a good chance (“I’ll be in town”).
Offering to see someone an ocean away will probably result in an offer to host you most of the time if you have a strong brand.