Refer to This
The next time a prospect asks for references:
• “Every person I give you will rave about me. What is that going to prove?”
• You probably don’t have a trusting relationship if the buyer needs to seek validation elsewhere.
• “Sure, but can you give me references, so I’ll know that you pay on time, meet your deadlines, fulfill your accountabilities?”
• “If we get to the stage where you’re about to accept one of the options in my proposal, and you still need references, I’ll provide them, how’s that?”
• “Mercedes, Bank of America, and Pfizer didn’t need references, but if you do, do you want to talk to them?”
Baseline: References are just silly, an excuse to delay things or an indication that the buyer still doesn’t feel comfortable with you.