Looking Up Every So Often
This was reported in today’s Wall Street Journal by Johan Norberg from The Cato Institute. During this past decade:
- Extreme poverty fell from 18.2% to 8.6% (source: World Bank)
- Malaria in Africa declined by 60% and HIV by more than half
- Global mortality for children under 5 declined from 5.6% to 3.9% (UN)
- Death rates from air pollution globally declined by one fifth (Publication “Our World”)
- Annual deaths from climate-related disasters declined by one third (International Database of Disasters) and that’s a 95% decrease from the 1960s
- Consumption of 66 of 72 tracked natural resources has declined (US Geological Survey)
Many of the disasters we have seen, such as the horrific collapse in Venezuela, a catastrophe for humanity, have been caused by absurd political policies and tyrants.
We’re not perfect, there is a lot of work to be done. But this isn’t the End of Days or the sky falling. Unless you want it to be.