In Case You Were Wondering What I Was Thinking
- The socks and sandals look is just hideous, I don’t care who endorses it. I’m reminded of sheepherds from the Tyrol who bought a low-priced vacation to New York.
- The morning talk shows, unsuccessfully trying to blend stories about Congressional hearings, fashion, medical advances, and cooking, merely cheapen every subject. The lowest common denominator is never very high.
- Every talk show simply caters to people who already believe in that show’s “religion” and become exercises in massive self-absorption. The worst is “The View” which is frighteningly anti-intellectual.
- Tell me again why driving under the influence of legal marijuana is not as dangerous as driving under the influence of alcohol. (I laugh whenever I hear about the “cannabis industry,” as if “multi-level marketing” effectively hides a Ponzi scheme.)
- I’m rooting for everyone in Game of Thrones to lose, except the dire wolves, if there are any left. I’ve even come to hate the dragons. I’d hate the writing and acting, but there isn’t any writing and acting.
- What’s with “Whooo!” screamed out instead of applause at all kinds of events? I’m hearing it now at the ballet. Who are these people? Are they the ones wearing sandals and socks?
- The people on Lufthansa a couple of weeks ago en route to Frankfurt told me with a straight face that there was no wifi because “the airlines crossing the Atlantic lost the satellite and are trying to find out where it went.” Let’s hope the Russians don’t find out about this.
- Language may evolve, but so do the denotations and nuances. “No problem” does not convey to me what “You’re welcome” does, nor is it any way to treat a customer. I cannot imagine my saying to a client who is thanking me for my coaching help, “No problem.”
- Every day ought to be Mother’s Day.